How to connect to an iSCSI target from Windows Vista

In my last post on How to create an iSCSI target on Centos I detailed how to setup an iSCSI target. In this post I will list the steps I used to connect to that target from Windows Vista.

To connect to the iSCSI target from Windows Vista first open up the control panel and double click on the iSCSI Initiator Icon.


Once the applet starts click on the Discovery Tab. And ADD a target portal. Use the ip address of the iSCSI target server you created from my last article. I left the default port.




I then selected the Targets tab and hit the refresh button. My iSCSI disk that I set up on the Target server now appeared in the list.



To connect to it you will need to enter the user name and password that you used in the creation of the target (from my last article). Highlight the target from the list and click on the Logon button. You will then see the following popup box.



If you would like this connection to come up automatically when the system reboots select the checkbox for that option. Click on the Advanced button to bring up some additional options.



Check the CHAP login information check box and enter the user name and password you created the iSCSI target with. If all goes well you should see the Status column go from Inactive to Connected. Once this is connected you should see a new drive in the Windows Disk Managament applet that you can then format as needed.

Note that this was used for purely a test environment and should not be used in a production setting without some serious security and performance changes.

For other linux articles click here.
For other iSCSI articles click here.

Labels: , ,