Friday, May 13, 2011

It Fixed it for me - Windows Update Not Working

I recently had a client pc brought to me that would not run Windows Updates.
I initially though it was Malware or Spyware or Virus related so I was a bit puzzled after running my usual assortment of tools (Malwarebytes , Super Antispyware and others...) as to why Windows update would still not run.
It turned out that the some dll files were not longer registered ( possibly from some older previous infection )

To get Windows Update working again I opened a command prompt and ran the following

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 atl.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
After each of the above there should be a message about successfully registering the dll.
Once they were all registered Windows Update worked again.

As usual this may not be the only way to solve the issue but "It Fixed It for Me"

For more of my "It Fixed it for me" articles please click here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

big thanks to the author for new)

rachel said...

thanks, i found it useful