Sunday, January 24, 2010

Outlook Express Contact List File

I recently had a client that had a hard drive crash. The drive failed most IDE drive tests but I was able to connect the drive to a second pc and retrieve most of the users data.

The question that came up was "How can I save my contact list from Outlook Express?"

The file is located in the "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book" folder. The file has a .wab file extension and should be named the same as the outlook profile you created.

You can recover that file and import into other email clients.

Hope this helps.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

It Fixed it for me - Re-register .NET framework with IIS

I recently had a Windows 2003 Server that for some reason would not return even a single page through IIS. I was getting the dreaded "Service Not Available" error. Upon investigation I noticed several events in the Windows Event log with ID 1002 and 1009.

After some googling a few dozen searches on the subject I was pointed back at a corrupted installation of the .NET Framework version 2. I attempted to remove just the .NET framework but I could still not get a page to load through IIS. I next removed IIS completely then reinstalled.
After the reinstall I needed to manually re register .NET with IIS.
Here is the command in case someone else might come across this problem.

Open a command prompt and go to “C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ (change folder to corresponds to your exact version of .NET 2.0)

aspnet_regiis.exe -i

After running the above command I ran


to restart the IIS services. I was them able to get IIS working again.

Hope this helps.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

It Fixed it for me - Forcibly Removing Active Directory from Domain Controller

I recently had a client come to me with an old server that is no longer in service that he wanted to clean up. As there was some data on the server that still needed to exist after the cleanup I could not simply rebuild the server from scratch. However this server was a Windows 2000 Domain Controller from a domain that no longer exists. I needed to remove Active Directory from the server but as the original domain could not be contacted any longer the standard DCPROMO command would fail.

To work around this issue you can run dcpromo with a command line option that will forcibly remove the server from the old domain and remove Active Directory.

First open up a command promt and run the following command:
dcpromo /forceremoval
When it finishes you will need to restart the server. It should now be free from the original domain and Active Directory should no longer be installed.

As usual this may not be the only way to solve the issue but "It Fixed It for Me"

For more of my "It Fixed it for me" articles please click here.