It Fixed it for me - eBox on Virtual Box

I came across an interesting Linux distribution I though I might try out called eBox.
From their website

eBox Platform can act as a Gateway, an Infrastructure Manager, a Unified Threat Manager, an Office Server, a Unified Communication Server or a combination of them. One single, easy-to-use platform to manage all your network services.
I didnt have any extra physical machines to run this on so I decided to try this one on Virtual Box as I am running some other test distros on my Vmware server. Anyway I downloaded the iso image and mounted it in my new Virtual Box virtual machine. The install ran fine without any issues however when the base install step completed it needed to reboot to start the actual eBox setup. Upon restart the virtual machine would not start and I was presented with the following error

this kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU: 0:6

As eBox is based on ubuntu linux I found the solution on the ubuntu forums.
In order for to get ebox running in Virtual box you must follow the below steps:

In VirtualBox. Right Click on the eBox virtual machine and choose settings. In the Settings window that pops up, General selection on the left, click the Advanced tab on the right. Enable PAE/NX is in the middle of the window in Extended Features.
Once I made the above change I restarted the virtual machine and it continued with the eBox set.

For more of my It Fixed It for Me article please click here.
For more of my Linux related article please click here.



Labels: , ,