Thursday, June 11, 2009

Restore Dell Studio 1737 Laptop to Factory Settings

Well I had what is appearing to be a hardware driver problem get the best of me.
I have a Dell Studio 1737 laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit edition that generally is a great laptop, but I have been seeing some performance issues. For no apparent reason and at random intervals the cpu would go to 30-45% utilized and hover there even if the laptop was idle. I have attempted all of my usual tools to try to narrow it down to find what the issue is. ( turning of services, disable devices, update drivers, etc...) The odd thing is if I close the laptop screen and then re-open it after a minute or so the CPU would calm down for a while.

All seem to get me know where. I also used a program called Process Explorer (by Sysinternals) to try and track it down. Process explorer showed that the cpu was hung on Hardware interupts.
This is was lead me down the bad driver route. As I have wasted too much time on this I have decided to just reset the laptop to the factory condition and reinstall my apps.

I have listed the steps to recover the pc back to the factory state in case anyone else has this problem.

  • Restart the computer.
  • When the computer restarts, press F8 until you see the Advanced Boot Options menu.
  • Select "Repair Your Computer" and then press Enter.
  • Choose the language and then click Next.
  • Log in as a user who has administrative credentials, and then click OK. I choose my regular user name and entered my password
  • Click Dell Factory Image Restore.
  • In the Dell Factory Image Restore window, click Next.
  • Select Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition check box.
  • Click Next. The computer is restored to the default factory configuration.
  • When the restore operation is completed, click Finish to restart the computer. My laptop took about 30 minutes to run the restore

Hope this helps.

For more It Fixed it for Me articles please click here


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

17 comments:

S said...

I too have a Dell Studio 1737 that I need to reformat but I did what you said hitting F8 but it doesn't give me the advanced boot option. Is there any other way to get to the advanced boot option.

Thanks,
Sue

Scott Mckeown said...

Sue
Its a timing thing. You have to hit that key at just the right moment. It took me several tries before it worked for me as well.
Scott

leemosen said...

hey i did that but it come with booting option but when enter on repair button my computer just loads up windows 7?

H said...

I too have the same problem but when I press F8 I don't have the repair your computer option.. Do I need to insert the windows installation disc?

mojostrikesback said...

I'm having the same problem on my Dell 1737. Plus my MediaDirect is all scewy too. There is no sound and the video is choppy. Please HELP.

mojostrikesback said...

I am having the same problem with my Dell 1737. I am also having a problem with my MediaDirect. There is no sound and the video is choppy.

Essay about Dell Computer Corp said...

Very informative and helpful. I was searching for this information but there are very limited resources. Thank you for providing this information

Essays On Dell Computer Corp

Susan said...

Hi everyone - I'm having a problem that I can't seem to find help with when trying to restore my Dell Studio 1737 to factory settings. Here's the steps I'm following and where I hit a brick wall.

1-Restart the computer.
2- When the computer restarts, press F8 until you see the Advanced Boot Options menu.
3- Select "Repair Your Computer" and then press Enter.
4- Choose the language and then click Next.

Number FOUR is the problem. I am not given a choice to choose a language but rather am prompted to sign in. I'm the administrator of the computer, and have no idea what sign in and password to use.

Anyone else come across this road block? Thanks all!

Anonymous said...

When u start the computer it says F12 Boot option?
IM CONFUSED HELP PLEASE =(

Bery said...

im having that problem, i tried to use my user name and password but it wont work..
im stuck can anyone help

Anonymous said...

the issue is that windows 7 professional as in my case dont come with datasafe backup which doesnt allow for it to do a recovery to factory settings. the only thing that you can do is delete all unused progs from the hard drive and do a manual back up unto a external hard drive. from there, do a restore from the external hard drive
thats the only way i seen to be able to restart from scratch and free up my cpu and redo all the windows updates from there.
since i done this my studio 1737 is running without any issues and much better than before.
as for the issue that everyone is having on when to hit F8, just as you see the boot logo for dell load all the way, hit F8. that would send you to advance boot options. sign in with the owner and if you have no password ust hit continue. and the rest is as everyone else has explained.
hope this works

Roceathia said...

My question is this. If I restore my computer to its original state wll I lose all my files and pictures?

jhilly said...

Yep. Copy them to a memory stick or external hard drive.

Anonymous said...

I have had a fuzzy screen from day one and various other issues with my 1737 3gb HD.
I removed the mismatched 1GB stick and now the graphics are perfect.
It takes 2 minutes and it works, try it. Some are matching it with a 2GB stick, rather than a 2/1.

Nicholas Metzger said...

Hi,
I'm Nic, my Dell Studio 1735 Laptop is displaying the message
"THIS COMPUTER SYSTEM,#35KDGH1-595B, IS PROTECTED BY A PASSWORD AUTHENTICATION SYSTEM. YOU CANNOT ACCESS THE DATA ON THISCOMPUTER WITHOUT THE CORRECT PASSWORD" I don't have or know of any that I put. I've tried to no avail. Please help. Nic

Nicholas Metzger said...

Hi,
I'm Nic, my Dell Studio 1735 Laptop is displaying the message
"THIS COMPUTER SYSTEM,#35KDGH1-595B, IS PROTECTED BY A PASSWORD AUTHENTICATION SYSTEM. YOU CANNOT ACCESS THE DATA ON THISCOMPUTER WITHOUT THE CORRECT PASSWORD" I don't have or know of any that I put. I've tried to no avail. Please help. Nic

Nicholas Metzger said...

#35KDGH1-595B is the number code that shows on my Dell Studio 1735 Laptop Screen and it is asking for password without which I cannot access any Data in this computer.

Please help.

Nic