Product Review - Virtual Box 2.2.0

It has come to my attention that Virtual box 2.2.0 has received a major update.
The change log is posted below

This version is a major update. The following major new features were added:

* OVF (Open Virtualization Format) appliance import and export (see chapter 3.8, Importing and exporting virtual machines, User Manual page 55)
* Host-only networking mode (see chapter 6.7, Host-only networking, User Manual page 88)
* Hypervisor optimizations with signi?cant performance gains for high context switching rates
* Raised the memory limit for VMs on 64-bit hosts to 16GB
* VT-x/AMD-V are enabled by default for newly created virtual machines
* USB (OHCI & EHCI) is enabled by default for newly created virtual machines (Qt GUI only)
* Experimental USB support for OpenSolaris hosts
* Shared folders for Solaris and OpenSolaris guests
* OpenGL 3D acceleration for Linux and Solaris guests (see chapter 4.8, Hardware 3D acceleration (OpenGL), User Manual page 70)
* Added C API in addition to C++, Java, Python and Web Services
I will be testing it next. I am particularly interested in the Host-only networking mode. I really could use that in my testing of various programs. I need to have my virtual machines talk amongst themselves without being on my main network.

More to follow...

For my previous Virtual Box posts click here

Labels: , , ,