It Fixed It for Me - VMware ESXi server install.

Here is one that I hope someone finds useful.
I recently was installing VMWare ESXi server on a Dell Optiplex GX280. Upon install I was getting an error about an invalid option in Bios and that I needed to Disable "limit CPUID value" or "Support Legacy NT4 OS" in the BIOS. My Dell system did not have any of those options in the bios so I searched for a way to get this installed. What I needed to do was add a boot option to the install command when you first boot off the cd.

Upon booting off the install cd you can press the TAB key to get to a screen to add extra options
The default options looked like
mboot.c32 vmkernel.gz --- binmod.tgz --- ienviron.tgz --- cim.tgz --- oem.tgz --- license.tgz --- install.tgz
What I had to do was to change the about command to look like

mboot.c32 vmkernel.gz nocheckCPUIDlimit --- binmod.tgz --- ienviron.tgz --- cim.tgz --- oem.tgz --- license.tgz --- install.tgz
This allowed the install to continue without checking the COUID limit. After the install finished upon next reboot it will fail to start up because of the same error. I need to press the TAB key again to get to the boot option and add the "nocheckCPUIDlimit" option back one more time.

Once the server started successfully I was able to browse to the server using the VMWARE Infrastructure Client and set the option so it is a permantent option. This is done on the Advanced Tab then click on Advanced Settings. then expand the Kernel otpion in the widnows that pops us and then click on Boot. There will be an option on the right hand side for "VMKernel.Boot.checkCPUIDLimit" Clear the check box and the server should boot correctly the next time.

There may be other ways to get around this error but "ItFixed it for Me"

For more ItFixed it for Me articles please click here.

Labels: , ,