How to rebuld a pc using only Free Apps

Well...disaster struck my own personal laptop and killed my hard drive. Fortunately I had backed up everything important. After replacing the hard drive I have to rebuild my pc from scratch.
With the exception of the operating system (windows xp pro with SP3) everything on the laptop is a free app that you can download. Using all of the free apps I can do almost everything I need to do on a day to day basis.

Here is a list of the free apps I installed ( in no particular order) and a brief description of each.
Many of these program are on my Top 10 Most useful free progams list as well.

Free Security Software
  1. AVG Antivirus - Free Antivirus Software
  2. Zone Alarm - Firewall software
  3. AdAware - Very Good Free Spam and Spyware removal software
  4. Spybot Search and Destroy - Very Good Free Spam and Spyware removal software
  5. Windows Defender - Windows Spam and Spyware removal software
  6. Malewarebytes - Very Good Free Spam and Spyware removal software
Free File Transfer Software
  1. WinSCP - Secure file transfer
  2. Filezilla - free FTP client

Free Remote PC Connection Software
  1. VNC - Control Remote PCs
  2. UltraVNC - Control Remote PCs
Free Virutal Computing Software
  1. Microsoft Virtual PC - Allows me to create and run virtual machine. Good for testing OSes
  2. VMWare Player - Allows me to run VMware Appliances
  3. Virtual Box - Allows me to create and run virtual machine. Good for testing OSes
Free WebBrowsers
  1. Firefox - Very good Web Browser
  2. Google Chrome - Very good web browser
Free Office Productivity Software
  1. Notepad ++ - very good notepad replacement with many more features
  2. Infra Recorder - free CD/DVD burning software
  3. Klok - Best personal time tracking software available
  4. Open Office 3 - MS Office replacement.
Free Image Tools/Software
  1. Picasa 3 - Photo editing and organization
  2. Gimp - free Photo Editing software
  3. Paint.Net - free photo editing software
Misc Software
  1. Adobe Acrobat Reader - need to open PDF files
  2. Adobe Flash Player - plugin for browsers to allow flash content
  3. Putty - free SSH client
  4. Izarc - free file compression software
  5. CCleaner - disk cleanup software
Please post a comment if you have other good ones not listed.

Labels: , ,