With the exception of the operating system (windows xp pro with SP3) everything on the laptop is a free app that you can download. Using all of the free apps I can do almost everything I need to do on a day to day basis.
Here is a list of the free apps I installed ( in no particular order) and a brief description of each.
Many of these program are on my Top 10 Most useful free progams list as well.
Free Security Software
- AVG Antivirus - Free Antivirus Software
- Zone Alarm - Firewall software
- AdAware - Very Good Free Spam and Spyware removal software
- Spybot Search and Destroy - Very Good Free Spam and Spyware removal software
- Windows Defender - Windows Spam and Spyware removal software
- Malewarebytes - Very Good Free Spam and Spyware removal software
- WinSCP - Secure file transfer
- Filezilla - free FTP client
Free Remote PC Connection Software
- VNC - Control Remote PCs
- UltraVNC - Control Remote PCs
- Microsoft Virtual PC - Allows me to create and run virtual machine. Good for testing OSes
- VMWare Player - Allows me to run VMware Appliances
- Virtual Box - Allows me to create and run virtual machine. Good for testing OSes
- Firefox - Very good Web Browser
- Google Chrome - Very good web browser
- Notepad ++ - very good notepad replacement with many more features
- Infra Recorder - free CD/DVD burning software
- Klok - Best personal time tracking software available
- Open Office 3 - MS Office replacement.
- Picasa 3 - Photo editing and organization
- Gimp - free Photo Editing software
- Paint.Net - free photo editing software